ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Summer reading

We went to the library today for the first time in quite a while. We're nearing the end of Stuart Little and Julia's been getting excited about what we'll read next, so I wanted to have something picked out and ready. We looked around for a bit on our own at first, but most of the shelves seemed to be arranged by grade level and I wasn't quite sure where to look for chapter books suitable for a 3 1/2 year old. Evan was impossible to contain and I knew our time there was going to be limited by his exuberance, so I pointed out the librarian's desk and suggested that we go ask for some guidance.

"Will you do the talking?" Julia asked me. I urged her to give it a try, promising to help her out if she needed me. And damned if the kid didn't march right up to the librarian's desk and speak in a clear, articulate voice. "I really enjoyed Stuart Little," she told the librarian. "Can you suggest any other books that I might like that are similar?"

Julia came home with Charlotte's Web. And I came home with yet another reminder that I'm being ridiculous and wasting my time worrying about this selective mutism crap. You can learn a lot at the library...

5 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Good for Julia!

I have been thinking about starting Michelle on chapter books, but haven't gotten around to it. I think you have just inspired a trip to our library or book store to pick up a copy of Stuart Little. Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

BTW, do you have a copy of Jim Trelease's "Read Aloud Handbook"? I haven't picked up my copy in a while, but know that it has suggestions for beginning chapter books, as well as other read aloud material for all ages. My mom, the former children's bookstore owner, always gives copies to new moms. It's a great resource.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Sorry the link totally screwed up on my comment, but you can find the book at amazon. :-/

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Headed to my library today -- for some a Charlotte's Web-esque book, and the Read Aloud Handbook (which I've had them pull for me!!)

Gosh, I love blog comments almost as much as I love the posts!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I've also been thinking about the advancement to chapter books; I don't think my son is quite ready yet, but I'll be sure to look into the Read Aloud Handbook.

If it helps any, I wouldn't have approached a librarian to ask for a book until I was about 18. Yay Julia!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I had to come back with a quick update... as I was putting Julie to bed, I remembered that I had packed up some classics from my parents house years and years ago and thought that Charlotte's Web might be in the collection gracing my guest room shelves. I was right, and with a little coaxing ("But, I want to read my books" sniff, sniff, and sad puppy dog eyes), we started our first chapter book together.

I had forgotten how the book began (since the last time I read it was probably middle school). But, no questions about the father being about to slaughter the poor defenseless runt of the litter. She just lay next to me and listened. When we finished, she asked what would happen next. So far, so good.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

(and glad that I have inspired others to look into Jim Trelease!) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home