ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Countdown

T minus 18 days until school starts up again.

T minus 18 days until I can wave a cheery goodbye to my older child and be joyfully reunited with her several hours later, both of us reinvigorated by the time apart and full of things to talk about again. (Because let me tell you, we are nearly out of things to talk about around here by now.)

T minus 18 days until my younger child can actually get a second of my undivided attention instead of simply being shuttled around to his sister's summer activities and playdates. (The poor kid's practically going to have to re-learn how to walk, he's spent so much time in a stroller this month.)

T minus 18 days until my children get enough breathing room from each other that they enjoy each other's company once again, instead of hitting each other over the head with blunt objects and screaming "NO! THAT'S MINE!" all damn day long. (God help me, they'd better start enjoying each other again, because they've got a lot of years left to live together under the same roof.)

I knew that this would be a challenging month and I was prepared to pull out all of the stops. There have been field trips, special swimming lessons, playdates, extra babysitting hours and fun at-home projects. We have successfully filled the days. But I am tired. And my children, quite frankly, are tired of me.

It has not escaped my attention that nearly every blog maintained by a parent of a child aged 3 - 17 has contained a similar post in the past week or two. I think I speak for a significant number of parents out there when I say that August. is. simply. too. long.

T minus 18 days. And not a moment too soon.

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

It's like that ninth month of pregnancy. Need I say more? Except, I'd be all about inducing these kids right out of this house.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From that I hear, this is universal. And Kristi, you are a freakin' hoot, as usual.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home