ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A bump in the road

We had been talking for almost half an hour about trivial things when she finally mentioned it. "So I have to tell you," she said. "I have another lump in my breast."

The last time we had this conversation was 11 years ago. I was just out of college, just starting my life, and just about the age my mom had been when she'd lost her own mother. The lump turned out to be benign, but not before some sleepless nights spent worrying, thinking about what I could lose and what she could miss. I've thought of that near miss many times over the past 11 years... at my wedding when she walked me down the aisle with my Dad, when each of my children were born and she came to take care of all of us, and on countless other random days that were important only because they weren't actually important at all except for the fact that she was there, healthy. And now here we are again.

"My doctor wants the lump out, but he thinks it's most likely benign again," she told me today. "Are you nervous?" I asked. "Yes and no. They told Rowena there was like a 2% chance that what she had would get her, too. You just never know."

You just never know.

6 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Lisa(lildaus) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Lisa(lildaus) said...

OH, my thoughts are with you, Rebecca.... positive thoughts that this, too, is benign.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Steph said...

Sending many positive thoughts your way that this one is benign as well. I can totally relate to your feelings as I await my dad's latest CT scan results later on today.

(((Big Hugs)))

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I'll be thinking of you and your mother. I know how it is to wait. Hugs.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, damn. Sending a ton of good thoughts.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Rebecca, I'm thinking of you during this. I hope all will be well. I understand how difficult this is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home