ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Was it something I said?

Lexicon (noun):

1. A dictionary.
2. A stock of terms used in a particular profession, subject, or style; a vocabulary: the lexicon of surrealist art.
3. The morphemes of a language considered as a group.


The word I meant to use was vernacular. As in "Jewish stories and culture have just become a part of her vernacular." The word that came out of my mouth was lexicon. Yes, I actually said "Jewish stories and culture have just become a part of her lexicon." We all squinted at each other a little strangely and then simply continued the conversation.

In truth, I doubt anyone else involved in the conversation was 100% sure lexicon wasn't an appropriate word. And if I really push it, I suppose I could almost claim that the second definition justifies my choice of words. Sort of. But it wasn't what I meant to say, that's for sure. I drove home muttering "lexicon" over and over again and shaking my head. Is there a Language Bitch version of the Grammar Bitch? If so, I gave the Language Bitches of the world serious fodder with my (at best awkward, realistically just plain wrong) comment today. I will no doubt be muttering "lexicon" for days to come. That and "duh," which is really more my speed at the moment.

It's August. I'm hot. Excuse enough for sounding stupid? I didn't think so.

2 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Let it go. No one else would have caught it, I bet.

I have to admit, I can't tell you how many times I write something in my blog only to positively cringe later knowing you and Gretchen will read it. Will they catch it??!! I rarely go back and edit (though I've been known to), and now that I don't have my stat counter, I almost never do, because, precisely, I can't know whether someone's caught me or not. My latest cringe moment? "A pitiful ode..." NOT. "A pitifully inadequate ode", perhaps, but certainly not a pitiful ode...

Care to please join me in confession? Else, I'll really feel silly. I never was meant for the Catholic Church -- all that confession and all.

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have caught it, actually. I've heard "lexicon" used in that same context -- hell, insofar as I ever hear anyone use it at all, you know. I too will go back and edit my posts if I catch something I've done, but you know what? If someone is generally well-written and articulate, I don't look at their writing with a critical eye. It's not as though I read you or Kristy and think "hmm, let's see if I can catch them in a misuse or misstatement somewhere." KWIM?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home