ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Just call me a Grammar Bitch wannabe

The following handwritten, xeroxed note was waiting for me in Julia's mailbox when I dropped her off at school this morning:

Dear Mommy,

Can you please trace a handprint of Daddy's both hands. We are making a father's Day project we are sure he'll enjoy!

Thank you -
Miss Masha


I try very hard not to be too judgmental in these situations, as I realize that grammar need not be every single person's forte. (OK, this is bullshit -- I'm terribly judgmental, but I try not to broadcast it too much.) But seriously? How can I not be horrified here? THIS is who I am paying to teach my highly impressionable, currently grammatically accurate child?

It's a good thing Julia doesn't talk much in class. If she did, I'm fairly confident that she'd end up correcting her teacher's grammar. And as much as I want her to respect her elders, I'm afraid I'd have to cheer her on for that kind of insubordination.

Daddy's both hands. Sheesh.

6 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Nooooooooo . . . once again, get out of my mind, woman! I used to have such thoughts almost every time one of Erika's teachers sent home a note. Sam will start preschool in the fall, and here we go again.

Grammar Bitch footnote: Today, while e-mailing for my complementary (!!!) sample of Westerberg goat's milk, I pointed out their mistake to them. I wonder if they will still send the milk, or if they will correct the spelling error on their website. I'm betting (1) yes and (2) never.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That kind of thing just drives me insane, especially when you are teaching my kids. Send an anonymous letter ;)

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Is there a Grammar Bitch club? I'll sign up immediately. Hopefully, the (poorly) written word is less apparent to her right now (I know, only too soon it will be very apparent...) But, quite frankly, I'd be thrilled to have my daughter correct the grammar of her teachers. Politely, of course. (We southern gals take pride in our manners, you see) That'd be due-'n me proud! ;-)

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Wow... that's really bad. I'm not one to speak really, because my grammar is certainly not anywhere near perfect, but even I know better than that! ;-)

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Maybe while we are at it we can get my grocery store to stop advertising bananas for .59 CENTS a pound.....my father got in a shouting match with them one day....he even offered them an entire penny a pound ;)

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible she meant to write, "Both of Daddy's Hands"? It's still redundant--but would make the point she needs both hands in case the point was missed by busy parents who might misread "hands" for "hand".

It's amazing how many little mistakes we all make--I wonder who is skewering me on their website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home