ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, November 29, 2004

Things I'm thankful for

I sort of figure it's a given that I'm thankful for my terrific husband, our amazing kids and the life we lead together, but there are other things I'm thankful for, too -- things I'd be a little embarrassed to list off at the Thanksgiving table. They deserve to be mentioned somewhere, though, so in no particular order:

1. Viva paper towels
I realize they're ridiculously expensive, but so very worth the splurge... I will never wipe another little face with anything else. They're not bad on tushies in a pinch, either.

2. Music Together
The best day of the week for me, Julia AND Evan! This is the only program I know of that actually bridges the 2 year gap between my kids successfully. I have no idea why Music Together works, but every kid I know loves it. Anything that can entertain a 3 week old, a 3 month old and a 3 year old equally is something special in my book.

3. QuickZip Crib Sheets
30 seconds to change a crib sheet? And no wrestling matches with a corner? Why did it take me so long to find these? And when will they make them for my bed, too?

4. The Internet
There is no way on Earth I would have survived the last three years without my constant link to the outside world. Instant connection to my friends, vast access to news and information, shopping without a stroller... I truly think the Internet may be a more important tool for a stay at home mom than baby wipes.

5. Reality television
What better way to step outside of my terribly small world of nursery rhymes and diaper changes and remember what romance, adventure and professional backstabbing all felt like?

6. My friends
All friends, of course. But especially the true ones, who you can consult on the location of missing Mirena strings and poor nursing latch and call with the important Mommy Gut Check questions like "do you think he's too yellow?"

4. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
It's terribly stereotypical to be a housewife raving about a cleaning product -- and particularly ironic because I'm not one for domestic activities. But oh my God, have you seen what these things can do to crayon marks on a wall?

8. TiVo
I've saved the cost of the subscription and then some on the kiddie videos I haven't had to buy thanks to TiVo recordings of my kids' favorite shows. More importantly, not having to choose between rocking a child back to sleep and missing my favorite television shows (see #5) makes me a far more patient mom (almost embarrassingly so).

9. Mommy Writers
The women who aren't afraid to tell the truth about parenting. They make us laugh and cry with recognition, and they make us better moms just by knowing we're not alone. And on a personal level, they make me want to tell my stories, too... hence, this blog!

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

I love Viva paper towels, too. Although I usually wipe little mouths with unscented baby wipes. And you know the other thing about baby wipes? They are miracle cleaners. They can get bloodstains out of carpet in the blink of an eye.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Dang, girl! You are a bad influence. We had been buying the cheap paper towels at Target, but last night by happenstance we needed paper towels, and I bought Viva. Fortunately Ben didn't notice how expensive they were. You are probably going to get me hooked again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home