ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, February 03, 2005

My bad

She said it. So clearly I couldn't possibly have missed it. "I want to go home now."

And I ignored her need, encouraging her to have a little more fun with her friends before we left. Not because I didn't think she probably needed to go home then, but because Evan was still having fun. I was still having fun. I'd already shelled out the money for us to be there in the first place. How much could a few more minutes hurt?

Quite a bit, clearly. I deserved every bit of the hysterical earful I got on the way home, every single wail and every bit of her accusatory whining. "I said I wanted to go home. It was too much for me. I just need some time alone. Why didn't you LISTEN to me?"

I'm so sorry, Julia. Next time, I promise I'll listen.

2 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Its always a balancing act. Are they bluffing? Are they serious? You take your best guess, and that's all that can be done. Oh, that and a "sorry" when you screw up. Don't knock yourself. It happens to the best of us. Your maybe-twin, included.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger The Secretary said...

Don't worry about it. She can wait. It's important to teach her to be patient with others and not be demanding. Don't apologize mom. Be firm. Evan and Mommy are having fun darling, I will give you X number of minutes and then we will go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home