ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, July 01, 2005

I was so partial to the lovely striped ones

I'm not really a fan of prehistoric creatures. I'm not a total grinch where dinosaurs are concerned -- I'll happily check out a good museum exhibit, I enjoyed Jurassic Park and I adore dancing with my kids to Laurie Berkner's We Are The Dinosaurs -- but I don't know a thisasaurus from a thatasaurus and I don't really care to. I'm particularly turned off by the proliferation of dinosaur decals on little boys' clothing and pajamas, and I've always steered clear of such designs for Evan. In fact, I went so far as to swear I would never purchase an article of clothing with a dinosaur on it. I'm sure you can see where this is headed.

There we were in Carter's this week, killing time while Julia was in camp by looking for new summer pajamas for Evan. And before I knew it, Evan started to jabber with delight. "Di dah! Di dah! ROOOAAARRR!" He was marching around in circles, pointing at a display rack of dinosaur pj's and roaring at full volume, giggling hysterically the whole time. And in that moment, I knew that I was done for, that this child is going to own whole drawerfulls of dinosaur apparel before I'm done buying for him.

Evan got the dinosaur pajamas. And I got the pleasure of seeing my little boy's delight again at bedtime that night. His happiness is so much more important than my principles, don't you think?

3 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Steph said...

You swore you'd never own dinosaurs, and I swore that I'd never have a little girl who loved wearing dresses and everything princess. No such luck on either of our accounts.

I can't stand dresses, am totally not a prissy girl, and am very happy wearing jeans and a t-shirt every day of the year. Oh, and I was never into the whole princess/dress up thing as a kid. My daughter, on the other hand, can't get enough of "spinny dresses" as she sometimes refers to them, and anything and everything princess. Phil just got back from Las Vegas with a brand new princess hat and cape, and Michelle couldn't have been more delighted. My next fear is Barbie. I really hope that she isn't a Barbie girl.... ;-)

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

I am so totally all about dinosaurs, and bugs, and lizards and toads and such on boys' clothes; and given my druthers, I'd dress my girls the same; in fact, I did dress Erika like that, little football shirts and such. Which means that surer than sugar there is a little princess daughter in my future. Oh, I can feel it. There are fates worse than dinosaurs!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Damn. If this baby is a boy I'm going to be buying dinosaur pjs while singing "We are the dinosaurs, marching, marching, We are the dinosaurs, what do you think of that? [kick]"? Please tell me you're kidding!

Oh, wait. You're not. I know. I SWORE I'd never buy my daughters ANYTHING with a Disney Princess on it. Nothing. I hate, hate, hate Disney Princesses. I'm sure they're the spawn of Satan. So please tell me why I actually GRINNED with delight and thought, "oh, E will love this magazine" as I selected the Disney Princess magazine off the shelf at Barnes & Noble during my Mommy's night out a few weeks ago. (yeah, the bitches actually have their own MAGAZINE!) And I was right, she loved it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home