ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, September 09, 2005

A ministone reached far too early for my liking

Today, I made Julia a very happy little girl. We went on a back-to-school shoe shopping spree and she came home with the shoes of her dreams.

Notice I said the shoes of HER dreams. These are not the shoes of my dreams. Far from it. I keep saying things like "well, at least she can put them on herself" and "at least Merrell's a well-made brand." In truth, I wish they were not so well-made, though. I wish they would self destruct by Tuesday so that I would not ever have to see them again. The shoes themselves are fine, trendy even. But the color Julia just had to have... oh, God, the color is heinous. There should be no such shade of pink in this world. Period.

I used to love shoe shopping for Julia. Little girl shoes are so cute and we both love them so much. We've always agreed instantly on the perfect Julia shoes. Until today. Today, my daughter's fashion sense veered off course of mine, beginning a trajectory which I suspect will now not correct itself for a couple dozen years, if ever. And with visions dancing in my head of my own battles with my own mother over my own burgeoning sense of style, I let her make her own choice. The shoes she selected fit her well, will provide proper support for playing and were not outrageously expensive. And so I bought them for her, shielding my eyes from their blinding pink color.

They will clash terribly with 3/4 of her outfits and I know I'm going to cringe every single time I see her hot pink sueded feet running toward me. But my daughter, did I mention how happy she is? The beauty of her smile almost makes up for the ugliness of her shoes. Almost. But truth be told, not quite.

5 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

What's up with the shoe thing lately? Same thing happened in my house not too long ago. Though I wasn't too upset with the outcome.

When I saw the request from preschool to have the kids dress in specified colors on specified days in the coming weeks -- that's when I had to laugh. Are you serious? Get *my* kid to wear anything other than what SHE wants to wear. Pshaw.

Talk about picking your battles.

Hey, I think the shoes are fab, dah-link. Think they come in my size?

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee. I'm very fond of that blinding pink color, as evidenced by my taste in Hanna dresses for my little girl, and purses, and suchlike. I agree that it's an obnoxious shade; that's partially why I love it so, because I enjoy being a pain in the ass. So I am totally giggling over here. I think Julia's shoes are groovy. Especially the color. Hee.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Steph said...

LOL - too funny! I am sure that if Michelle were to see them, she would have to have them too!

As for clashing with all of her clothes, Michelle does that quite well, without the benefit of the hot pink shoes! :)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger chichimama said...

Hmm. They look remarkably identical to the ones Corbey HAD TO HAVE. Except he didn't get a hot pink option.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I gotta hand it to you, you're a stronger woman than me. But they have nothing on the monstrosities Danielle picked out last spring. Purple sandals with sparkles, bells, and sequins. Which would go with NOTHING she owned. I could not let that travesty happen. Luckily, she saw reason, "But Danielle, they'll fall apart from the wet grass." It was a close one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home