ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, June 23, 2006

A burgeoning sense of self, part 2

Over the past two years, Evan has gone through a pretty standard succession of names for me, including Mama, Mommy and (a little too early for my liking) Mom. He's even called me Rebecca or Becca on occasion, which I secretly find far more charming than I try to let on. But in the past week or two, I've picked up a new title which is by far my favorite. I am now "My Mommy" -- as in, "can I have a snack, My Mommy?" or "My Mommy, where are you?" I love what this says about Evan's growing understanding of the English language, as well as his increased awareness of the world around him. And of course, I love what it says about my role in his life. This one will be short lived, I suspect; the best ones always are. It will be an especially sad day when this new moniker -- and the sweetly earnest way Evan pronounces it -- is gone.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww that is so sweet!! He is understanding possession now too!! Look out everything will be "MY car, MY street" hehehe!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Here's hoping that Rosemary's delightful fate is bestowed upon you. To hear "My Mommy" at 23? Would be nothing short of delightful.

But then again, does it approach something analogous to "Love You Forever"? I dunno. Maybe you DO want to see him drop it, eventually...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

So. Sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home