ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My kids clearly got the whining gene from me

By all rights, yesterday should have been a lousy birthday. My children, already exhausted and cranky from a day of loud construction work, reached the breaking point by mid-afternoon and very nearly took me down with them. As I drove aimlessly around town trying to give them a quiet place to sleep while my bladder screamed a silent protest against this plan, I felt pretty darn cranky myself. "Not really the way I wanted to celebrate a birthday," I kept muttering under my breath as I mentally composed long, self-pitying blog entries that I knew I'd never have time to write.

A few hours later, I was in the car again, this time on my way out for the evening. And as I drove, I realized how ridiculously whiny and self-pitying I'd been earlier in the day. No, it wasn't my dream day, not as I might have envisioned it, anyway. But my phone rang off the hook all day as old friends and new called to wish me a happy day. My children surprised me with beautiful handmade cards, my husband with gorgeous flowers, a Coach wallet and a Coldstone Creamery cake. I spent the late afternoon in the company of wonderful friends and I met another 10 friends out for Mexican food, margaritas and many, many laughs that night. It was a long day. But all day long, there were reminders of how many terrific people I have in my life. I had a whole lot of company to go with my misery. And I know in my heart that I'm damn lucky to have that.

So there was a little sawdust in my house. So the noise was deafening and my kids were cranky. So damn what? I had a great birthday. I should be so lucky as to have many more just like it. I hope I'll always be able to recognize them when they come along.

6 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I knew I liked you...a fellow Cancerian! Happy Birthday! Sorry it didn't start out so well --- and glad it ended up great!

Kristy

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh criminey, you have the same birthday as Erika's father, which means I have a prayer of remembering it next year (I routinely forget the birthdays of everyone I love as well as all anniversaries, including my own). They're seldom perfect, but I say any birthday spent alive and kickin' is a good one. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'll bet that Coach wallet smells great when you open it.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger chichimama said...

Happy bday, stupid me forgot. Please forgive :-(.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger gkgirl said...

happy birthday
and pat yourself on the back
for recognizing the great day
for what it was
:)
and everyone has to whine
sometimes
or at least,
thats how i justify it
heehee

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday!

I find it's helpful to have whiny moments, for then you have something against which to compare the really good ones...

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Happy Birthday!! Glad that the day turned out to be such a great one after all! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home