ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Birthday bonanza '06: you can please some of the people some of the time...

What I was thinking: This party coordinator is just not dynamic enough. Am I too much of a perfectionist? The party is not organized enough for four year olds. Am I too much of a perfectionist? She should have thought through some of these details ahead of time. Am I too much of a perfectionist? She doesn't use her time efficiently. Am I too much of a perfectionist? I don't think that she understands this age group all that well. Am I too much of a perfectionist? I can't believe I'm paying someone to do something that I could have done better. Am I too much of a perfectionist?

What Julia was thinking: All of my friends are here to celebrate my birthday with me. I'm having the best time at my party. We're playing lots of fun games and I'm not getting put in the spotlight too much. I'm having the best time at my party. We're stuffing pets, just like I wanted, and I got a yellow one because that's my favorite color. I'm having the best time at my party. Pizza is my favorite food and I'm sitting here eating it between two of my favorite friends. I'm having the best time at my party. I'm using my artistic talents to make my new bear a cool shirt. I'm having the best time at my party. More games? Sounds great! I'm having the best time at my party. A tea party with real cups and saucers and a princess cake just for me? Wow! I'm having the best time at my party.

The bottom line: Julia had an amazing time at her party. And I'm probably too much of a perfectionist. If one of us was going to be frustrated, I guess I'm just damn glad it wasn't her.

7 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Seriously, a party coordinator for a 4 year old birthday party? Holy crap, I didn't even have a wedding coordinator for my wedding. We're still at the "homemade cupcakes and pin the tail on the donkey" stage for birthday parties here. But, I promise you, I still find ways to stress about even that. I'm glad she had so much fun - the picture is darling!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Despite maybe not meeting your standards, it sounds like the party was a success. So glad that Julia had a great time. What was the final head count, by the way? ;-)

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger chichimama said...

C just looked at the picture of Julia and said "she's at her party having fun. Her party was really fun."

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, the party coordinator thing sounds obnoxious, huh? I simply don't have enough space in my home for all of those kids (final count was 26 with all of the last minute sickies), and I can't stand the dime a dozen gym parties. So I outsourced to a woman who runs parties at a dance studio. Flexible, not too expensive, and -- as it turns out -- somewhat less than stellar. Live & learn!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Aaawww, Julia's a cutie :) And I'm glad she had such a fun party.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

No! Ack! I didn't mean it to imply that it sounds obnoxious. It just never crossed my mind that there are party coordinators for the preschool set out there. I also meant, "Wow, the party I'm having for T later this week might be veeeery lame." ;) I didn't mean for my comment to sound the way it did - I'm sorry. (And to tell you the truth, the idea of turning everything over to a coordinator and not having 25 people at my house this week sounds pretty good right about now.)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Glad Julia had a good time. Next time, remember this post and make sure YOU have a good time, too. Perfection can't be achieved in our lifetime, maybe, even, ever. Because, you know, I'm highly qualified to give out that advice. Oh. yeah. right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home