ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, February 24, 2006

Teachable moments

Evan: Oooh! A guck!

Julia: Yes, Evan. That's a truck.

Evan: Yeah. Oooh! Another guck!

Julia: Uh, no Evan. That's a school bus.

Evan: Oh. Oooh! A guck!

Julia: No, no, Evan. That's a minivan, not a truck. Here, I'm going to teach you a new word. It's transfortation. All of those things -- trucks and buses and minivans -- are kinds or transfortation. So are boats and cars and airplanes, so it's a great word for you. Here... I'll teach you how to say it. Trans - For - Ta -Tion. Can you say that?

Me: Uh, Julia? It's actually transPORtation. With a P, not an F.

Julia: Whatever.

Evan (pointing at a school bus): Oooh... another guck! Hi guck!

So much for teachable moments.

5 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe...my toddler is the same way!
chelle

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Gina said...

I'm hearing things like that in my house quite frequently these days. E is always trying to teach her sisters, including baby Annie, new words.

Julia being such a sweet teacher to Evan just cracks me up.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Too cute. I could totally picture this exchange, complete with mispronunciations!

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Hee. Classic example of the difference between boys and girls. Girls want to explain everything, boys just live the moment. I guarantee they would not have had this conversation if Evan was the big brother and Julia was the toddler!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I love this! It shows again how wonderful Julia is, how adorable Evan is, and the amusement we can always find in our children. Beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home