ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, March 13, 2006

Musical mulligan

It doesn't matter if we're just going down the street or embarking on an hour-long drive. Each and every time we get into the car, Evan starts begging to hear the Sesame Street Count sing. "Ah, ah, ah," he screams over and over, imitating the way the Count laughs. His voice gets more and more frenzied until I acquiesce and turn on his favorite CD. (Good God. Am I really raising a child whose favorite CD is Sesame Street Sing Along Travel Songs?)

I have tried to compromise and offer musical alternatives. I have attempted to engage him in such convoluted discussions that he can't get a word in edgewise to ask for the song. I have even lied outright and pretended that the Count is "sleeping" and thus unable to perform for us (it's like parenting crack, this lying thing). Nothing works. Either the Count sings this or Evan screams like a banshee. It has come to the point that I actually dread getting in the car each morning. I'm all for happy children, but no mother in her right mind could truly be expected to listen to Ninety Nine Bats (In My Car Today) 52 times a day without going a little batty herself.

I've always been terribly amused by -- and more than a little bit disdainful of --the concept of a mulligan. Maybe it's the cynical golf widow in me, but the whole idea of just saying "I take it back; this never happened" has always struck me as just plain silly. As the days and weeks pass and Evan's obsession with terrible children's music simply does not wane, however, the idea is growing on me. I've reached the point that every single time I give in to Evan's musical demands, I find myself fantasizing about calling my very own mulligan. That moment when I first popped that damn Sesame Street CD into my car dashboard? Never happened. Here, kids, let's listen to some lovely classic rock. Would that it could be...

7 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Every time we get into our car, all I hear is "Door-Door? Peeeeeze" (Dora? Please), as J requests that I turn on the DVD player. As annoying as it is to listen to multiple Dora episodes over and over again, I'm thankful that it's not Ninety Nine Bats. ;-)

Somehow this weekend, I was able to listen to some good old 80s music in the car, with no complaints. The planets must have been in some funky alignment because this morning we were back to Dora.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

XM Kids. That's all I'm gonna say...

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ohana would like to say BWAHAHAHA and point out that Sam and Matt love Elvis Costello. But you do have our sympathy.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Oh, yeah, right there with ya. Liam will only listen to the Freight Train song from his music class CD.

And Kristy, I tried XM kids. I was instructed to put the CD back. NOW!

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe somehow our little one came to love "No No No Don't Phunk with my Heart" by Black Eyed Peas....yeah I so want to lose that CD!
chelle

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Get the Curious George soundtrack - - get it today! My kids can't get enough of it and, because Jack Johnson did the entire soundtrack, I don't mind it myself. Get that and get some Dan Zanes. And, um, good luck. ;)

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the neverending Wiggles singing going on in my world. Argh!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home