ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, March 06, 2006

One flu over the cuckoo's nest

If my doctor was right and the Tamiflu he gave me lessened the severity and duration of this illness considerably, I shudder to think what I would have been like without the stuff. It has been nearly a week now and I am still hard pressed not to put my head down right here on my keyboard for a little snoozer. This flu is nasty stuff.

Julia spiked a fever on Saturday, just hours after she had breathed all over her friends at a birthday party, so I suspect that we are not going to be very popular people in the preschool community this week. Fortunately, the flu shot which I foolishly deemed unnecessary for myself has made a world of difference for her and the disease which has crippled me for nearly a week scarcely seems to be affecting her. I doubt that she'll be able to return to school tomorrow, but Wednesday seems somewhat likely. Unfortunately, by Wednesday, all of the friends who she probably infected on Saturday should be good and ill, so really, what's the rush?

I had hoped to ease back into civilized life today with a day that included school for both of my children and strategically scheduled babysitting to give me a mid-day break, but Julia's illness pretty much killed that plan. Instead, here we are at home containing our germs; a slit-eyed flu survivor dreaming of cool sheets and blessed silence, a germy preschooler whose fever does not seem to be impacting her ability to cover every spare inch of my home with scotch tape and her stir crazy younger brother who, as the victim of circumstance, has now been unfairly cut off from civilization for the better part of a week. It aint pretty, folks. The house is also filthy because our cleaning woman is deathly afraid of flu germs, so I guess it is fortunate that my "give a shit" quotient has been significantly reduced by this illness. If we all make it through this day alive, I am going to consider it a parenting triumph.

I know, I know. I don't usually write blog entries that are quite this rambling and self-absorbed. I usually at least have a point to make. But it has been five days since I have seen a human being other than my immediate family, and the whole situation clearly has me a little on the crazy side. How crazy? Well, I don't think that it is the feverish delirium talking when I report that I now have indisputable proof that the graphics department responsible for Pullups is indeed messing with my mind. Paul did an emergency run to the store this weekend when we were running dangerously low on Pullups and came home with a Toy Story-themed pack. The balls on the Elmo ones might have been coincidence, but really, how am I supposed to tell my son to keep his Woody dry with a straight face?

It hurts to laugh. I will be the first in line at next year's flu clinic.

9 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Glad you're on the mend. And, rambling or not, your Woody punch-line pulled it all together. Still chuckling.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling better. I can relate to the crazies from only seeing your family for a week, because that's where we were too since M was sick all of last week. I hope that Julia feels better soon and that the ickies bypass Evan!

And, the line about Woody, priceless. You got me giggling. We know they were messing with us on that movie. I mean, come on, Woody and Buzz?

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all about Woody jokes at our house because Matt is so into his Woody. Actually he has several Woodys, some of them very large. And we love going out in public and telling him "Matt! Please keep hold of your Woody, or it's going to fall off [the stroller] and you're going to lose it!"

Feel better.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel Better soon!!
hehehe your posts make me giggle!
chelle

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Gina said...

I hope you continue to feel better, Julia doesn't get hit too hard and Evan misses it altogether (Paul, too).

Ah, yes...Woody...it's just too much.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Liesl said...

Woody!! Very funny! Flu? Very not funny. Last time I had it I was sure I'd have been better off being hit by a semi. I hope you're back to normal and soon :)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

When my oldest was so into Toy Story, Bill and I could not stop cackling about Woody. Seriously, WOODY. They ARE messing with us.

Welcome back to the land of the living! (Um, kind of?)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I just remembered the Toy Story line that I have been trying to remember since you posted this.

Shortly after the first movie was in theaters, we were at a friend's house who had a little boy (he was prob 5 or 6). He came wandering out at bedtime and asked "Mommy, can you help me get my Woody and Buzz on?" It had to have been a read-along tape of some sort, but to this day, it makes me giggle :)

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

It's okay to vent to us -- that's what we're here for!

Hope the illness clouds moves away from your house soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home