ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, January 23, 2006

A graphic discussion

As I was rushing around this morning, trying to get everyone up and dressed and organized, Evan was clamoring for my attention. He had something so important to tell me that it simply couldn't wait. "Ball, Mommy," he exclaimed, pointing at his crotch. "Ball!"

"Yes," I replied in that completely absent I'm-not-really-paying-a-bit-of-attention-to-this-conversation way. "Those are your balls." And then I froze.

We're all for talking freely about body parts around here, but I was pretty damn sure that my son's scrotum had never really come up in conversation before. So where had he learned this term? Was someone talking inappropriately to him? An adult? Another child? Could touching also have been involved? Should I be alarmed? Is the mother always the last to know?

As Mommy Panic set in, I stopped rushing around so that I could get down on Evan's level and start asking some serious questions. Kneeling down, I happened to look at the area causing all of the excitement. And there, on Evan's brand new Pullups (courtesy of the potty training that is not being discussed or acknowledged but is shhh... coming along quite nicely), was a picture of Elmo and Big Bird. Playing with -- you guessed it -- a ball.

Today's awkward and slightly inappropriate moment was brought to you by the makers of Easy Ups and the letter M for Mommy.

8 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

And thank YOU for the laugh. When my son said something about "Daddy's Balls", I spit out my coffee across the room -- literally. I'm glad it didn't go that far in your house.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Steph said...

That is just too funny! And, it has to make you pause for a second to think, is the person designing and picking out what picture goes onto Pullups/diapers laughing at our expense too? Ha, this one will make some Mommies squirm a bit! Thanks for the laugh!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger chichimama said...

Laughing, laughing.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Totally. Laughing. Out. Loud. And I echo Steph: some graphic designer, somewhere, is laughing his or her, forgive me, balls off at all of us too. Hilarious.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Love it. And I love the way your brain spirals to the worst possible scenario! I can relate to that.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger The Secretary said...

I'm totally crackin up, remember my own young son's adventures in learning... thanks!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Oh, thanks for the laugh!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Oh, my, that's way too funny! And I'm also identifying with the immediate onset of Mommy Panic Mode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home