ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

London calling

It's all been planned out for years, this life of mine. The marriage and the kids and the house in the 'burbs, all anxiously anticipated and joyfully realized. The friendships I've made and the friendships my children have made, all carefully cultivated to give us a social network, a base to fall back on and daily entertainment. The classes and activities which my kids participated in as babies, which positioned them for the preschool they now attend and for the elementary, middle and high schools they will someday attend, all painstakingly thought out with far more detail than was probably strictly necessary. I know what I'm doing next week, next month and next year. I know how those actions will impact my life even further out. Planning is my nervous tic and my outlet for excess energy and worry. I obsess over decisions and details, but I'm happy in my obsession. In the end, I am comforted by a wealth of personal knowledge and by the security of a well thought out and executed plan.

So when the plan gets tossed up in the air, when a once in a lifetime opportunity comes up that would upset the applecart completely, rendering the past 7 or so years of planning somewhat irrelevant, how do I respond? Are you kidding? Just think of all the new obsessing and researching and planning needs to be done to make this new life path successful! Bring it on...

And just like that, everything changes. An unexpected job opportunity for Paul. A year -- maybe 2 -- in London for all of us. A new lifestyle. New experiences. A new view of the world. And yes, I selfishly admit, maybe some new writing material, too. Nothing's set in stone yet. No papers have yet been signed -- or even proffered. It's too early to say for sure how this will all pan out. But in my mind, I'm already walking my uniformed daughter to her first day of British school. I should bring an umbrella in case it rains.

9 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Picking my jaw up off the floor...

Selfishly, my first reaction is a heartfelt "Noooooo" -- for some reason, I can be comfortable with our 5 hour travelling distance, but a 5 hour time zone difference? I couldn't possibly bear it.

And then, I think -- selfishly again -- perhaps I could finally meet this wonderful woman...in London!

Go on, I say. Crazy.

(And, for the record, our plans very much include a couple of years overseas. We're eyeing the UN's environmental operations in Namibia...so, perhaps, in all your planning, you could insert that into your itinerary)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

How wonderful! We have feelers out for a few years out of the country at some point - hopefully sooner than later - but to have it right in your lap. Wow. Color me green. Or should I say "colour"? (*grin*)

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Wow! Go for it, I say! We had a chance to go to Ireland shortly after Liam's birth, and I, admittedly less of a planner than you, nixed that idea due the monkey wrench it might throw in my plans for my son.

Now I wish we had gone. Take the offer and run with it :)

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

How exciting!!! I hope that it works out the way that you want. I would love to live for a little while in England but then we have family over there.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Steph said...

Wow. This sounds like an amazing opportunity, especially now while the kids are so young. Have fun with all of the planning!!

Maybe we'll also finally get to meet in London ;)

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

How incredibly exciting! I, too, hope it pans out for you!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Oh wow! How wonderful! What an opportunity! Can't wait to hear more. Two weeks!! :) Not that I'm counting or anything...

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Do it. Absolutely do it. I forget to whom to attribute this quote (Vonnegut?) but it has been written: UNEXPECTED TRAVEL PLANS ARE DANCING LESSONS FROM GOD.

Need I say more?

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!! My husband has been moving us, unlike you I have no plans and I go with the flow. It has been adventurous and fun! I hope it all works out for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home