ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This damn genetic mirror is clearly warped

Paul's been complaining for years that I am too argumentative. He claims that I jump to disagree automatically, regardless of what he says or how I really feel. This is an entirely unfounded accusation, of course. I agree with Paul often (somehow, he doesn't seem to notice these moments when we are in synch quite as readily as the moments when we aren't) and when I do voice a differing opinion or idea, it is simply because I have one. I admit that I am opinionated, and that I speak up for myself and my ideas (a trait which could not have come as a surprise to my husband, given the fact that we were friends before we were a couple), but having strong opinions is very different from being argumentative. I've tried to explain this to Paul on occasion, but my explanations apparently sound like arguments and, well, it's a vicious cycle.

Julia's been particularly vociferous and difficult this summer, a stage which seems to have been brought on by a nasty combination of summer heat, "big kid" status at camp and a cumulative lack of sleep. Our communication has been rife with disagreement, and I feel like I'm constantly fielding yet another whine or extended negotiation. This morning, as she was avoiding my efforts to get her ready for camp, I finally realized what the problem is. No matter what I ask her to do, she insists on doing something else. It is an incredibly annoying habit.

I wonder where she got it.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Sounds about like our house. Kevin says the same type of thing about me that Paul says about you - I'm contrary only to be contrary. And now Liam is starting this "contrariness" - every suggestion is met with a firm "NO!"

I'm finding it's much more fun to be the contrary party than to be the one attempting to change the mind of Mr. Contrary ;-)

Liesl

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hmm...that sounds vaguely familiar. Both the spousal "observation" and the feisty daughter. Hmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home