ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, September 22, 2005

I was ahead of the times with my behind-the-times way... just ask the Times

How come no one was writing front page New York Times articles about me when I said the exact same things 15 years ago?

It seems like half the parenting world is up in arms about this article; working moms are horrified by the trend away from women in the workforce and stay-at-home moms are offended by the implication that their work doesn't matter. Same old shit, different day. I refuse to get caught up in the fray. Sure, the Times wrote a deliberately controversial piece. What else is new? Me, I'm just delighted to discover that I'm still a trendsetter. Your life plan worked for me, ladies. Just think twice before you name your kids Julia and Evan, OK?

4 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Hmmm, let's see...should I resist getting caught up in the fray? I think, maybe, I should...

Interesting article. I wonder, though, about any eighteen year old's ability to know what they want. Apparently, for you, you knew what you wanted in college...but me? Sheesh, I couldn't think past getting my next pitcher of beer. ;-)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Steph said...

It worked for me too. I was the one at 19 who changed my major from technical theater to computer science, because I knew that the theater lifestyle would not permit the family that P and I envisioned for our future. (Yep, we were already dating then)

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was somewhat encouraged to read that two young women *expected* their husbands to stay home, while two more were open to that possibility. I wish there were some way to get the word out that the stay-at-home dad thing CAN work, and that it's a great way to allow a mom to continue her career while having peace of mind about her little one's welfare. Oh yeah - and to highly recommend the federal government as an employer - the hours are extremely reasonable even if the pay isn't as high as in the private sector. My concern for the current college-age generation - both male and female - is the overwhelming assumption that only the mommy might conceivably stay at home!

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Well, too late on the Julia thing. I saw this trend coming quite a while ago; many female lawyers are leaving the field after a time to be mothers. And why not? Best to keep one's options open. There is always time for a career, later, but babies don't keep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home