ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, January 30, 2006

Making a list and checking it twice

I see people at the grocery store all the time who look like they are genuinely enjoying themselves. They hum to themselves as they consult lists and sniff produce and examine labels. They chat with deli personnel about meat specials and offer advice about making homemade pasta sauce to people standing near them in the canned tomatoes aisle. I am not one of those people.

There are few chores that I hate as much as grocery shopping. I am at my most indecisive staring at a shelf filled with cold cereal options. I am far too impatient to take a number and stand in line at the deli counter. The smell of the meat section makes me want to immediately devote my life to vegetarianism. I am not the type of person who makes a list and supplements those basic household needs with exciting finds and great sale items. I am the type of person who will wait until the cupboard is bare, then drag myself off to the store grumbling, wander the aisles randomly for a little while and come home without half of the things we need. Grocery shopping is not my strong suit.

Yesterday, Paul announced that he and Julia were off to the grocery store. They had been working with a new science kit that she'd received for her birthday and they needed some standard household items to do their experiments. Needless to say, I was out of most of those "standard" items. Ever one to seize an opportunity, I asked them to pick up a half a dozen things that we were out of while they were there.

They returned home an hour later with everything they needed. The reason for their success? Julia's grocery list, carefully written out before they left with a little spelling help from Paul. She had clearly enjoyed everything about their shopping experience, from the list making on down. I no longer needed to make a Monday trip to the store to buy bread. Everyone was happy.

I know of people who claim that they had children so that there would be someone to take the garbage out or walk the dog. I'll happily do those things myself forever if I can just hand off the grocery shopping to my kid. How old do you think she has to be before I can just drop her off in front of the Shop Rite and tell her I'll be back for her and the groceries in an hour?


7 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I'm with you on the grocery shopping front. Ugh. Loved Julia's note, especially "white flower".

I think she'll be ready for grocery shopping before you're ready for her to be ready!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

You have preschooler who put lima beans on her own shopping list? Wow!

Hey, when she's seventeen, you could drive the bargain my mom did with me. She told me I could have the car for the day as long as I would do the grocery shopping for her first thing that morning. It was a win-win situation for both of us.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I'm not a big fan of grocery shopping either, and never come home with everything I need. Unfortunately for me, I end up at the store way too often because of that.

The "flower" was my favorite part! She's too cute!!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Julia can write all those letters? (Trying not to hyperventilate.) Oh my goodness. We are so very, very behind here...

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I, for one, make ONLY one list on a regular basis. And that is: the grocery list. Chalk this one up to one of our differences. And, yes, I chit-chat with the folks at the deli counter.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Julia's grocery list is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. My favorite part is the title "LIST" at the top of the page. Too cute for words.

I will admit to loving grocery shopping. I have the standard "in my head list" of things I get every time (fruit, veggies, milk, bread) and then yes, I write down the rest. I don't wait in the deli line because we don't eat meat, but I do, on occassion, have to track down the tofu. ;) Yes, I do enjoy the grocery store. However. I HATE HATE HATE unpacking the groceries and will sometimes put away only the cold things and leave the rest in their bags on the counter for the rest of the day. Once in a while until the next morning. Did I mention I HATE unpacking?? (*blush*)

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww. That list is definitely a keeper. And way to go to find a solution that works with everyone.

I can't wait for the day my kids can do their own laundry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home