ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

For future reference

To my dear, loving, generally very thoughtful husband:

I'm all for being upbeat about your business travel. You work hard, and I think it's great that your company ships you to interesting places Business Class and puts you up in the Ritz when you arrive. I'm happy to hold down the fort while you're away. I'm even willing to listen to your descriptions of nights out "on the company" (though I must confess that on more than one occasion, I have wondered whether I really need to hear every detail of your delectable steak dinners when I myself am looking at endless evenings of the very best that Lean Cuisine has to offer). But when you start to say things like "ooh, I think the Rangers might have an away game in Montreal this week... maybe I'll try to get tickets" or even "it looks like my flight's going to be delayed and I'm going have to hang out in the business class lounge and read my book for a while"? Well, at some point I'm going to be hard pressed not to get just a teeny tiny bit jealous.

You always tell me that I should do a better job of thinking before I speak. I have thought very carefully this time. And what I have to say is this: ditto.

Have a great trip and hurry home. You'll be missed!

Love,
your martyred wife

9 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ha! And Amen!

Have I ever told the story of the 16 inch snow fall we had here one April? When I was 7 months pregnant with #1? And had to shovel the driveway out by hand? And the fact that it took me 3 hours? AND the fact that WHILE I was shoveling, I received a phone call from my away-on-business husband, who was lounging poolside in Arizona waiting for a business meeting? *ahem*.

I believe that the ONLY acceptable phone call home, when one partner is away on business, contains the words, "I miss you, can't wait to be home" and nothing more. (*grin*)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

My husband travels more now in his (not so) new job than he ever did before. He learned very, very quickly to keep his mouth shut about the wonders of it all. Of course, he complains about the flights and being away from home and, and. And for that? I STILL have no sympathy...NONE. AT. ALL.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my sister Monica could have written this post! I've been spared this particular hell -- Ben seldom travels on business, and when he does, it's brief and low-key. And believe me, I know how lucky I am. He should be calling to complain about how hard it is to sleep without you beside him.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger chichimama said...

You know how I feel about this one. M is lounging in Las Vegas eating Brazilian yummy food and sleeping in...

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! What a great post.

My husband travels alot to some amazing places and I reached shared a similar message to him the last time he complained that he only got to spend 4 hours on the beach relaxing on this business trip. Ya. I was at home shovelling 2 feet of snow, working and taking care of our son alone. He's learned his lesson. And now I get better trip gifts too:)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

I think Jennifer has the right idea. He should call home, say how much he's looking forward to coming home, and then ask which restaurant would be the place to take you to dinner when he returns :)

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband does not travel for work yet...And darn it when he starts I am going to make him read this post!!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Steph said...

You hit the nail right on the head! I hope his time away goes quickly for you!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I NEVER want to hear about food, even though I may have had delectable rice krispie treats for dinner. I have a hard time thinking that dinner=work.
greatpost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home