ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Monday, April 10, 2006

Spring cleaning schizophrenia

I cheerfully threw out the boppy, the baby toys and the burp cloths without a passing glance or a twinge of regret. Ditto the half-used pack of size 3 diapers, the pacifier clips and dozens of pairs of outgrown children's shoes. Ruthless in my determination to say goodbye to the clutter without sentimentality, I tossed them all in a flurry of decisive activity.

I bagged up my old work clothes for donation, though it pained me to do so. Those suits had hung there untouched for 5 years now, but I'd never been able to bring myself to pack them away before. I was honestly distressed to see that part of my life go (despite the fact that it's obviously been gone for so long now), but I was also fully aware that even if and when I return to the workforce, I will never return to pleated pants. Out they went.

I sorted through my underwear drawers, tossing dozens of items that should have been discarded long ago. And then, inexplicably, I tenderly returned all of my stretched out, threadbare nursing bras to the drawer. Really good nursing bras are hard to find, and I just couldn't bring myself to let go of mine just yet.

In the end, I cleaned things up, yes. But I didn't quite clear things up, now did I?

7 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

My threadbare nursing bras are gone, gone, gone. Even though I'm still nursing. I just couldn't wear those stretched and worn things one more time. But the Boppy? I will keep the Boppy until they take me to the nursing home. At which time I will take it with me.

Happy, um, sorting anyway. ;)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

What does it say about me that the nursing bras, boppy, and professional clothing were out eons ago?

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful about that, Rebecca! I never could figure out why I didn't do something with the breast pump that had been gathering dust in my office since I stopped pumping for Matt . . . well, Miss Julia would be why!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Hey can I come over and look through your baby stuff? lol

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger chichimama said...

I'm with Kristy, all that is gone, gone gone.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still clinging to all the stuff...oh how I hope at some point we will use it again!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to part with all of our old baby stuff. P just brought it up to my mom today, actually. The nursing bras are long gone though (despite still nursing!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home