ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I clearly have no future authoring multiple choice exams, because none of you seemed to have a bit of trouble with my little pop quiz. This is indeed art. What kind of art? I'm so glad you asked.

This is a centerpiece for our Passover table, created by my 2 year old son under the careful direction of his Mommy and Me teacher. "First paint the inside of the bowl yellow," she told him, and he did. "Now glue in these two cotton balls," she told him, and he did. "Now glue on this plastic spoon," she told him, and he did. "Look at your beautiful bowl of matzoh ball soup," she told him and he looked blankly at her.

Yes, this lovely piece of pre-preschool representational art is supposed to be a 3D bowl of matzoh ball soup. Evan has maybe seen matzoh ball soup twice in his life, since he has a mother who is too much of a purist to buy the pre-made stuff, but far too lazy a cook to make it herself, so this project was pretty much completely lost on him. But I have been laughing over it for 3 days now.

The table gets pretty crowded on Passover, what with the seder plate and the matzoh plate and the bowls of salt water and the hagaddahs and all that damn food. I don't even do a floral centerpiece on Passover because there just plain isn't room. But this bizarre art project will have a place of honor on our table this year. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'll be making room for it on my Passover table for the next 40 or 50 years. If it's funny now, imagine how hysterical it will look by the time we've all finished that 4th glass of wine.

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

That's funny! Actually, I saw your post yesterday, and thought perhaps the picture was a bowl of Cotton Ball Soup :) But I never got a chance to post a comment.

I hope you enjoy the centerpiece for years to come!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hilarious! I love it! And Liesl is right - 10 years from now it will be even *better*. True art is never appreciated in its time anyway. (*grin*)

(p.s. I'm glad it's not some new-fangled Cotton Ball Diet. Whew.)

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so relieved that it wasn't food!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I had a feeling it had something to do with Passover, but Matzo Ball soup? I never would have guessed it. It will surely make a great addition to your Seder table!

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matzo ball soup! And Seder. One of the big regrets of my life is that I have never been to a Seder. I keep tapping my foot, whistling, waiting for some Jewish friend to ask me, but all my Jewish friends are male and/or on the East Coast. D'you think I could just kind of sneak into one? Is there an Adopt-A-Shiksah program?

Anyway, that is a cool art project. And I will smile picturing it on your table, and picturing the proud little artist who made it happen.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Thank God it's styrofoam. It'll last years and years...Welcome your new centerpiece for a LOOOOONG time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home