ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hello. My name is Rebecca and I am an enabler.

Me: Julia, I've been thinking. When you're at camp or at a playdate without me and things don't go your way, do you whine and cry?

Julia (surprised and a little horrified): Noooo... why?

Me: Well, I was thinking about the argument that you had with C over that puzzle and the way you cried when he didn't want to share it with you. If Miss M or C's mommy had been there with you guys and not me, what would you have done? Would you have cried?

Julia: No. (thoughtful pause) I guess I would have just asked him again to share with me or gone off and done something else.

Me: Those both would have been good ways to handle the situation. So why can't you behave the same way when I'm around?

SILENCE

Me: I think we both have some thinking to do about this, huh?

A very subdued Julia: Uh huh.

3 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Steph said...

The exact same thing happens over here. M behaves like a total angel with anyone else, even Daddy, but for Mommy, the whining and crying monster comes out!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

"They" say that little ones let loose around people they love, people that they're comfortable with.

If that's the case, then I really don't want to be loved. ;-)

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Um...that sounds like conversations my husband and I have had. Guess which one of us has been grouchy at home recently? Ha, ha and HA.

Really, I do think it's a sign Julia is most comfortable with you. Here's to discomfort?! (*grin*)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home