ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, August 04, 2006

Knock, knock. Who's there? Opportunity.

Eight months ago, depressed by the start of yet another "same old, same old" year, I made a New Year's Resolution to seek out a new direction for myself. On the advice of some very wise friends, I took my time on this project, waiting for the right opportunity to present itself rather than aggressively trying to hunt it down. "You'll know it when you see it," they kept reassuring me.

I wondered some days about the wisdom of this approach. More often that I care to admit, I was convinced that this year was destined to end up every bit as boring and uninspired as it began. But in the end, my friends were right. The year was half over before opportunity finally came knocking. But when it did, I immediately recognized and embraced the new direction my life would take this year. This one was worth waiting for.

It's official. Next month, my family and I are moving to London. Instead of a familiar, comforting and entirely too predictable start to yet another school year, this September will mark for us the beginning of an adventure which I can neither envision nor fully anticipate. My life for the next year or two will be anything but the boring re-tread I had feared it might end up to be. Whether that turns out to be a positive thing for me or not remains to be seen, but the knowledge that at the end of this experience I will return to my current life somehow changed is a welcome certainty. I'm excited and I'm terrified and I'm overwhelmed all at the same time. But mostly, I'm incredibly grateful, both for this opportunity and for the friends who encouraged me to wait patiently for it.

The beginning.

12 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Congratulations!!! How exciting for all of you. And, good luck with preparing and packing for the adventure! :)

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

The tears I have in my eyes are every bit tears of happiness and sadness at the same time. Why sad? It seems so odd, since we never really *have* met. But, I feel like a friend is moving away. Happy, though, that my friend has found that missing opportunity, that left her confounded just a little while ago...

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger chichimama said...

Sniff. Sniff sniff. I guess I now need to break the news to C, huh? We will miss you. Sniff, sniff.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

This is truly amazing and exciting. I am so happy for all of you. Also? Quite envious ;-)

But darn it, I was looking forward to a meetup this month or next...

Please tell me you will keep blogging.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! How very exciting!!! Good luck with everything, I look forward to reading all about it!!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Congratulations!!! It is nice to know that even though you will be moving so far away you will still be right here.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am just thrilled for all of you. Though I do have to keep reminding myself that you're not really "leaving" according to our terms of friendship. The beauty of the internet. (So why oh why do I still feel a tinge of sadness?!)

Congratulations!

(Sorry about the deleted comment thing above - that was me, slipping on the keyboard...)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Congrats!!!! Good luck with the move - I'm SO jealous!!!!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How exciting and thrilling and life-changing and all those things! Congratulations! Enjoy!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Rebecca, Congratulations! What an exciting time for you and your family. Be well and I'll of course be watching for updates -- which I'm sure will be posted, come September, at very odd hours for us North American types.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger ByEmre said...

thank you Benten Oyunları - Komik Oyunlar - Araba Yarışı Oyunları

 

Post a Comment

<< Home