ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I think I need to choose not to dwell on this one too much

"You don't have to drive me home today," my 17 year old babysitter proudly told me last week. "I finally got my driver's license and I drove here myself!" I couldn't have been more thrilled. My sitter lives down the street and she usually just walks up here in the afternoons, but it gets dark so early these days that I frequently need to drive her home. Bundling the kids up and taking them out for the drive down the street is always a hassle, especially since they're usually both clamoring for my attention after I get home.

"Congratulations," I told her, and we all gathered at the front door to ooh and aah over her new car. The children waved cheerfully as she climbed in and started the engine. And then we all watched silently as she drove away. In the dark. Without her lights on.

This is the person I trust to keep my precious offspring safe in my absence???

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, she was probably just nervous. And the street must have been well-lit!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I know you aren't a fan of internet lingo, but as this is the absolute truth, am I allowed to say that I am actually laughing, yes, out loud, at this. The image in my head of you standing there, watching her drive away...in the dark...hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home