ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Friday, February 03, 2006

Birthdays

I tried desperately to convince my OB to schedule Evan's induction on February 3. Great people were born on February 3, among them my grandmother, my childhood best friend and Elmo. It would be so cool, I thought, to share a birthday with your great grandmother and Elmo.

Alas, my OB refused my requests. Apparently he felt that lung development trumped sentimentality or something silly like that, because he waited for me to hit 38 1/2 weeks and scheduled the induction for the 5th instead. Thus, I cannot wish my son a happy birthday for another 48 hours. But Elmo, buddy, many happy returns of the day to you. And Nana and Eden, party on.

Two notes on the birthday thing, since my OB inadvertently saved me from the time consuming task of writing a sentimental birthday letter to Evan today:

1) Elmo is, according to all reports, perpetually 3 1/2. How can someone -- even a puppet -- be 3 1/2 on his actual birthday? I have spent far more time puzzling over this one than I should really be willing to publicly admit.

2) Evan insists that he's turning 9 on Sunday. "You'll be 2 soon," we've all been telling him for the past few days. Each time, he corrects us. "No, no, no," he instantly replies, giggling. "Nine!" What is it with my children and wishing their childhoods away?

3 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I remember you saying something to the effect of "how cool would it be to have the birthday 02/03/04" too :) That would have been really cool to share the day with his great grandmother and Elmo, as well.

As for Elmo's age, I've puzzled over that one too. How old is the little guy turning today??

And, lastly, maybe he just likes the number nine! Happy almost birthday to Evan!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Um, I'm unable to comment on anything past the first paragraph. Induce to share Elmo's birthday?!? Still picking my jaw up off the floor.

You know, now, that I'm being as entirely tongue-in-cheek as you were being. You were being tongue-in-cheek, right?

If not, I still adore you. As long as you still adore me.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Elmo has a birthday???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home