ministones

The things that will never make it in the baby books and other musings from a stay at home mom

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Vacation: decidedly NOT all I ever wanted

I don't think I have enough lists.

I have lists of groceries, lists of clothing, lists of gear, lists of toys and lists of extras. I have lists of things to do around the house and lists of people to call and lists of errands to run. (I also have a little mental list going of all of the pre-parenthood vacations that we took with almost no advance planning or preparation, but that's really tortuous to contemplate, so I'm trying not to dwell on it.)

Once upon a time, vacation meant taking time away from your daily routine to go someplace special and spend time with fellow travelers. Now vacation means lists. And plans. And packing things like Infant Tylenol and snack food and tricycles. I have no earthly idea how we're going to fit that tricycle in the car.

Four adults. Two 3 1/2 year olds. Two just-over-1 year olds. And a shitload of crap. I keep telling myself that we're helping to make wonderful memories for our children. I keep reminding myself of my mother's old vacation mantra from when we were little -- a change is as good as a rest. I keep reassuring Paul that a week at the beach is will be as much fun for us as for our children (OK, so even I don't really believe that one). And I just keep making lists.

Shit... I forgot sippy cups. When do you suppose this is all going to get fun?

5 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Lisa(lildaus) said...

No kidding!! Paul and I are going to vegas this weekend, and Emma will be shuttled between both sets of grandparents. Packing for myself will take, um, 15 minutes. Packing for Emma will take 3 hours, 4 lists, and 2 Captain Morgan & sprites!!! (oh, and a small u-haul!). That child really needs to get into a real bed, so we can stop hauling her pack-n-play around!!

Have a 'relaxing' vacation!!

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There again, parallel lives ;) We are leaving in a week and my lists started weeks ago when we got home from our last vacation and we only go for long weekends! Two pak-n-plays, double or single stroller, sippy cups, highchair, diapers, etc. Good thing is now that Lindsey is older it means one less high chair, possibly a single vs. dbl stroller and diapers for only 1, but then I have to make sure I have enough pants for her, you know just in case! :) It is worth it and your mom is right!!!

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry; it's worth it. We just did it in early March. (You want to know what's even worse than packing a tricycle? Buying a tricycle on vacation and then having to figure out how you're going to get it back home.)

But you know what? Three months later, Matt still says "When can we go to the vacation house again?" and Sam talks about going back to the "big vacation house" (second leg of the trip, in the mountains) to make snow angels. Memories, mommy. You are making memories. Don't forget the Blue's Clues Band-Aids, and have a great time, and watch out for sharks . . .

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I made it to and from vacation without a single list. NOT ONE LIST. Hope you have/had a great vacation!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Steph said...

We just got back from our trip (half the week at the beach with one side of the family and the second half visiting the other side of the family), so I can completely feel for you. I started a list when we took our first trip (or second maybe) with Michelle that I then saved on my computer and print out each time we leave. It's grown quite a bit since then, but if I get everything on the list, I know that I have basically everything I will need, except maybe a couple of random things that then get added on for the next trip.

It's definitely for the memories. Michelle already wants to know when we're going back to the beach and when we'll be seeing all of her cousins again.

But, boy, could I use a few days off now that we're back home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home